Respiratory illnesses can range from mild to severe, with symptoms that may overlap between different conditions. Testing and treatment for respiratory illness at urgent care centers is a crucial aspect of healthcare, particularly during the cold and flu season.
In this blog, we’ll investigate common respiratory diseases, their causes, and the need for precise diagnostic testing to establish effective treatment protocols.
At Integra Urgent Care, we treat and test for a variety of respiratory conditions and illnesses. These include:
- Common cold – Symptoms include sneezing, mucus dripping down your throat, coughing, fever (most people with a common cold do not have fever), stuffy/runny nose, watery eyes, and a sore throat.
- Influenza – Symptoms include cough, fatigue, fever, headache, and body or muscle aches. In some cases, patients also experience diarrhea and vomiting.
- Asthma – Often results in shortness of breath and difficulty breathing that often affect sleep. Other symptoms include tightness in the chest, congestion, and coughing.
- Bronchitis – Causes significant chest congestion, deep coughing, and inflammation in the lungs and can be accompanied by fever.
- Pneumonia – Symptoms of this respiratory illness are shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, fever, loss of regular appetite, cough, and fatigue.
Respiratory illnesses can be caused by various factors, including:
- Viral infections – Problems such as the common cold and influenza are caused by viruses that spread through the respiratory droplets of the infected individual.
- Bacterial infections – Bacteria that affect the lungs cause illnesses like pneumonia.
- Environmental factors – Allergens like pollen and dust mites in the atmosphere make the airways inflamed and irritate the lungs causing susceptibility to infection.
Urgent care centers are a reliable, convenient, and affordable healthcare option as they provide on-demand respiratory illness testing and treatment 7 days a week. Patients can walk in without an appointment and receive quality medical care quickly. Walk-in medical centers also offer diagnostic services to quickly diagnose conditions to inform treatment plans.
Integra Urgent Care is a trusted provider of urgent care services in the DFW Metroplex, with three urgent care centers in Las Colinas, Weatherford, and Grand Prairie. If you are experiencing symptoms, just visit a center near you without an appointment. The experienced and licensed staff will diagnose your symptoms and develop an effective treatment plan to help you start feeling better quickly.
Why is Respiratory Illness Testing Important?
Testing is often the first step in properly diagnosing various respiratory illnesses because many conditions display similar symptoms. For example, the flu (influenza) and the common cold produce similar symptoms, like sneezing, coughing, and fever. Without diagnostic testing, identifying a specific illness and determining an effective treatment plan is challenging and often ineffective.
By correctly identifying the bacteria or virus causing the respiratory condition, providers can develop a specific treatment plan based on the test results. Different conditions require different treatment plans and respiratory illness testing provides the answers that providers need to offer the most effective medical care to their patients.
Early detection through testing also prevents the communal spread of contagious illnesses by alerting patients who are sick to stay home and lower the risk of transmission to others. Diagnostic testing at urgent care centers is convenient, affordable, and effective, so get tested if you or a family member is not feeling well.
Rapid Testing Options at Integra Urgent Care
At Integra Urgent Care Center, we offer a variety of rapid testing options to help diagnose respiratory illnesses:
Treatment Options for Respiratory Illnesses
Some specific treatment options for common respiratory tract infections and conditions include:
- Antiviral medications like Zanamivir and Peramivir are good for influenza if administered to the patient within two days of the onset of symptoms.
- Most cases of the common cold alleviate without specific treatment. But some effective remedies include non-prescription decongestants and pain relievers.
- Over-the-counter medicines combined with rest and fluids help minimize the symptoms of acute bronchitis.
- Antibiotics, along with rest and adequate intake of fluids, are effective for treating pneumonia.
- Long-term controlled medications like corticosteroids and short-acting beta-agonists help manage asthma. They are highly beneficial for asthma control.
Respiratory infection spread rapidly, so treating them early prevents them from worsening and shortens the time needed to fully recover.
Why Choose Integra Urgent Care?
Integra Urgent Care is a trusted provider of urgent care services in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex offering quick and reliable testing and treatment for respiratory illnesses for you or your family.
When you need respiratory illness quickly, visit the nearest Integra Urgent Care in Grand Prairie, Las Colinas, and Weatherford. We are open 7 days a week (with extended weekday hours) and offer rapid testing so results are back and treatment plans are developed quickly. Our goal is to get you feeling better fast!
Integra Urgent Care accepts major insurance plans. If you don’t have insurance or prefer to pay out-of-pocket, we offer some of the lowest self-pay prices in the greater Dallas/Fort Worth area. To get tested and treated for a respiratory condition, just walk in, skip the line and check-in online, or call the nearest Integra Urgent Care clinic near you.